July 3, 2007

July 3, 2007 - My First Cab Partner



            Things have been going well here at the taxi company.  It’s busy, and the money is good.  If you are willing to put lots of hours in the money is can be really good.  The veteran drivers have been telling me to save up while it’s busy because winter brings a lull in business.  It’s a strange setup, at least compared to what I am used to.  The way it works is that you pay a flat amount each week, which is currently $310 to use the taxi.  The lease covers the overhead such as the dispatcher and office staff’s salary, as well as repairs for the taxi, insurance, permitting, and use of the company name.  Usually the office pairs drivers up that have opposing schedules. 

            In my case I have the car available from 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. each day and the other driver works the opposite shift.  I don’t necessarily work all 12 hours, and I hardly ever do, but I pick and choose which hours within that time frame that I want to come in.  There is no schedule, formal or informal. 


           Right now I am paired up with Francio, but he goes by “Tim.”  I get along with Francio just fine, but the other drivers not so much…   Not sure why, he seems like nice enough of a guy.  Francio came here from Brazil a few years back.  Things are sometimes lost in translation but overall the communication between us flows pretty well.  No complaints.



No comments:

Post a Comment