September 12, 2007

September 12, 2007 – My First Outburst

            Today I had an outburst.  I feel that it was warranted.

            Dispatch: Cab 777
            Me: 777
            Dispatch: Go to the Cortez Island
            Me: 10-4

            So when I arrive there is no one in the lobby.  I just pulled my taxi up directly outside, which happens to be about 10 feet from the door.  I could have gotten out but there really was no point – I can see anyone who’s inside, and right now it’s empty.  I waited there for a few minutes in case whoever called was running late.

            Me: 777
            Dispatch: 777
Me: There doesn’t seem to be anyone here, did you happen to have any more info?
            Dispatch: Did you go inside?
            Me: There’s no one in there.
            Dispatch: Why don’t you go inside and ask.
            Me:  I can see right from my car, no one is in there to ask.
            Dispatch: Why don’t you get out of your car and go inside and ask.
Me: WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!  YOU DON’T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT, YOU TALK TO ME NICELY!
            Dispatch: (After a long pause) You can landline the office.
            Me: No, I don’t think so.
            Dispatch: You need to landline.
            Me: No, I won’t be doing that.
            Dispatch: If you don’t answer me I’m going to take you off of the board.
            Me: Whatever.
            Dispatch: You need to landline.
            Me: No, I don’t think so.

            Boy this got the office steamed.  I’ve been pretty patient with them talking to me like a child and all.  I’m a grown ass man, and you just don’t bark orders at me like that.  Especially when I haven’t done anything wrong.  This isn’t an isolated incident with the dispatcher either.  She always pulls this shit, and most drivers just bow down to her.  I’m usually really nice to her, even when she’s being a total asshole.  I don’t think “Asshole” is a term that should be strictly reserved for men anyways.

            I’m growing a little tired of these dispatchers being so rude to me.  I’m plenty polite to them.  This is bullshit.  Later in the evening I finally called the dispatcher and she told me that I can’t be talking like that on the radio, we have doctors and lawyers in our cabs.   True, those people do ride in our cabs, but do you think that they really care if the cab drivers aren’t being completely subservient to a dispatcher who is barking orders at them.  Hell, they’re probably cheering me on.

            Here’s a passage that I like from a famous movie –

“Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cu**s, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment